Friday 26 June 2009

THE LATE, LATE SHOW...

It is now Friday, and I am supposed to be writing this last night whilst it is still Thursday, so apologies for that. I've pretty much ruined the structure of this blog forever, and I know I can never be absolved for this heinous crime. But I do have some good excuses that are related to what I want to talk about anyway...

We are putting the finishing touches to the end of the Morphic Resonance show, to which we say goodbye to tomorrow. As I write I am awaiting a delivery of 25 books that will form a part of this farewell couple of days. So today we have a lot of work to do finishing off the covers, a bit of screenprinting and so on. Proper documentation should surface next week or even later today...

Patrick Burgoyne, the editor of Creative Review, gave a talk at the 'Creative Networks' event at Leeds College of Art & Design last night, which I enjoyed very much. He picked out a few projects to dwell on, some of which I am familiar with, others i'm not, and it was very inspiring, and i felt as if I was back at University (well we were at the Art College) listening to a great lecture. We have all been having thoughts about how to proceed as a group and individually, and the last week has thrown up things which have helped to clarify my thinking, last night being one of them. A very definite thing it made me realise was that, as practicing creatives, we are still so young and inexperienced, even though sometimes we slip into thinking that we know what we're doing. A lot of the work I saw last night (though not all) was of a standard that can only be reached by working at something for a number of years, and actually getting very very good at it. I don't want to regurgitate what was said at the talk, suffice it to say I wish that this happened every night of the week.

Afterwards, I didn't want to partake in the bowl of chicken drumsticks that appeared on the bar, next to the wine, but I didn't want to go home either, so I helped my friend move house, and got to ride around in a van for a while. I didn't get back home until half eleven, and then realised i'd left my laptop at my studio...hence this 'morning after' blog.

Finished 'In Patagonia' by Bruce Chatwin this week. I've been fascinated by Patagonia for a while, though not really done much research into it as of yet, so this was a good place to start.

This is going to be short because I have to go and make some books.

Until next week...



No comments: